Friday, November 6, 2009
THE SENATE IS AN OBSTACLE TO HUMAN AND AMERICAN PROGRESS
I have come to detest the Senate of the United States over the last few decades though once I held it in awe. Of course, Senators are truly bought and sold these days unless they are independently wealthy or an unusual exception to the rule. Maybe Kennedy fit that mold, a Senator rich enough and with broad enough support to act out some of his progressive notions.
It seems that the Senate is the big obstacle to social progress today, the Senate and the Supreme Court. We could have a unicameral congress and maybe have a thirty month or three year term of office for Representatives.
Montana shouldn't have two Senators just because it has lots of square feet. Maybe some sort of mechanism can be introduced so that this or that state is not ignored just because it has a low population. I am much more concerned with the situation, now, where the will of the majority is frustrated by minorities and in this case cracker conservatives who are terribly misguided at best.
I know that the low population states are unlikely to embrace the idea of abolishing the Senate easily. Yet I really wonder if the Senators of Kansas have really done that much to help Kansans. I'm not sure I see that.
Of course it would be more democratic and less elitist. It would weaken states rights without abolishing them. The problem is that states continue to undermine social progress by sabotaging national unity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment